Classes and Workshops
"Asana (postures) brings steadiness, health and lightness of limb. A steady and pleasant posture produces mental equilibrium and prevents fickleness of mind. By practicing them one develops agility, balance, endurance and great vitality."
-BKS Iyengar, Light on YogaAll classes teach the Iyengar method of Hatha yoga. This rigorous approach emphasizes a balance between strength and flexibility, builds endurance, and develops self-awareness.
Every effort is made to accommodate everyone in the class. Whether you're a beginner to doing yoga in South Florida or have been practicing for 20 years, you're welcome at the Yoga Institute of Broward. If you have never tried yoga before, please feel free to come in and experience the Benefits of Yoga.
***Last Thursday of every month are restorative/pranayama classes.
Level I - Introduction for beginning students or students new to the Iyengar method. Instruction in the fundamentals of body alignment through basic yoga poses that increase strength, flexibility and balance.
Level II - For students who are well practiced in level I postures. A wider range of basic poses including standing poses, beginning inversions, back arches, forward bends and twists will be introduced and refined.
Level I/II - Combined class for both levels. It is advised that you take Level I classes until you have a good understanding of the poses before attending a level I/II class. Not recommended for beginners unless by permission of the teacher.
Level III - This class is for students with substantial Iyengar Yoga training who are strong in standing postures, can do Sirsasana for five minutes, Sarvangasana for ten minutes, and be able to push up into Urdhva Dhanurasana. Independent practice should be well established.
Gentle - For those who want a slower paced, less rigorous class. Focus is on increasing mobility and flexibility while enhancing physical and mental vitality. Ideal for seniors or anyone with injuries or special needs.
Restorative Class - Restorative Yoga is a deeply relaxing and rejuvenating practice. Poses are completely supported by props, such as bolsters and blankets, so that the body can completely let go into the pose. The poses are held for periods of time encouraging holding patterns of stress and tension to gradually dissolve. This class is offered the last Thursday of every month.
*Prenatal Class - This is a gentle class designed for pregnant women. Pre-registration is required at www.yogafairy.com.
Single Class $17
5 class card (valid for 3 months) $75
10 class card (valid for 3 months) $135
Class payments are non-refundable and non-transferable
For individuals with special circumstances, physical problems, or wishing additional attention, private instruction is available by appointment.
Call Ruth Ann to inquire about an individualized program.
$85 per hour for one student or $225 for three sessions.
$100 per hour for two students.
- Arrive 10-15 minutes early to register if you are a new student.
- Please bring a sticky mat if you have one. There are mats to use if you don't have one yet. Harmony mats are available to purchase at the studio. It is suggested that everyone has their own sticky mat for hygienic reasons.
- Please be on time and inform the teacher of any injuries or health issues before class.
- Come to class with an empty stomach. No heavy meals for at least two hours prior to class.
- Yoga is a barefoot practice. You will be most comfortable in shorts or footless tights and a t-shirt. Please, no baggy clothing. Changing rooms are available at the studio.
- Please refrain from wearing perfume or scented products.
- Please turn off cell phones prior to class.